NAHA has been gearing up for winter by delivering more truckloads of food, blankets, warm clothing, etc. We collect winter clothing all year, so when the cold winds start blowing we already have products to take to them. See below at some of the terrific food we have been taking to the communities on the Reservations!
We do have an urgent request that needs your attention immediately. We need your help to be able to provide Emergency Vouchers to the Native Americans in need. NAHA’s Emergency Voucher program allows cold and hungry Native American families to receive food for their children, heat their homes during the bitterly cold winter months and care for their ailing elders. Evening temperatures are already dropping into the low 30’s and it won’t be long before the temperatures will be life-threatening. The pressing need for NAHA vouchers is made clear by just a few of the harsh realities of reservation life:
- Over 80% unemployment;
- Not enough food to last through the end of the month;
- Ramshackle housing with little or no insulation to ward off the cold;
- Threadbare clothing that gives little protection against biting blizzard winds.
The need for NAHA vouchers is greater than ever. Please be generous!!!
Such terrible conditions help explain why the normal life expectancy on the reservation is only 58 years of age, as well as why your support of our Emergency Voucher program is so urgently needed.
Please remember that your past gifts have helped…
- Provide mattresses to Native American families so they are no longer sleeping on the floor.
- Purchase and deliver small propane heating stoves and fuel through our Operation Winter Rescue to give families emergency heat during power or fuel outages.
- Dress small Native American children in warm clothing through our Winter Life- Guard program.
- Sustain NAHA Food Bank deliveries to far-flung reservations across South Dakota.
Please donate today so we can keep our Emergency Voucher program going and help as many families as we possibly can!
We are also starting to collect toys for the children at Christmas. Let’s make Christmas extra special this year for them!!!! Please ship any toys or items to:
12085 Quaal Rd
Black Hawk, SD 57718